Question re: Bridge Pins

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:50:26 -0500

Hi Ron et al.,

Thanks, all, for the explanation.

Ron Overs wrote:

> Not sufficiently, some offset angle, whether it be horizontal or
> vertical, is necessary to prevent falseness. I know this first hand
> because I have built a bridge with insufficient side draft angle,
> through a spreadsheet formula error. The tone was a disaster until
> the bridge was recapped.

When you talk about horizontal offset, are you referring to the speaking
length and the back segment coursing along parallel routes with a lateral
offset (ignoring downbearing angle, of course), or are you talking about
their being non-parallel?  Also, are you referring to false beats?  What
would cause this false beating, mechanistically?  Do horizontal vibrations
cause the string to "slide" over the surface of the bridge, thereby
resulting both in spurious noise and in energy loss to friction?

> Of course an alternative engineering
> solution could be employed, but it wouldn't be as cheap.

I'm curious about this one, too.  I've seen piano techs grumble and groan
endlessly (and understandably) about the difficulties of bridge pinning.  If
somebody had the perfect, ready-to-go, higher-tech solution, even if it cost
more than a box of new bridge pins, wouldn't the savings in labor and
aspirin justify the added cost?  Couldn't the rebuilder point out the
higher-tech solution to the buyer with the explanation (we'll presume) that
*this* bridge will last longer and perform better than its primitave
cousins?  Wouldn't that be worth something to the buyer?  Considering all
the labor that goes into rebuilding a piano, wouldn't it make sense to put
in, say, an extra several hundred dollars in parts to upgrade the piano to
something superior to other pianos???  (I'm not pontificating...  I'm trying
to understand more about this extremely conservative industry and would
appreciate your thoughts.)

Peace,
Sarah