Tuning Patterns

SUSAN P SWEARINGEN ssclabr8@flash.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:28:22 -0600

Forgive me if I'm rehashing a subject that has been discussed before, =
but I've been trying a lot of different tuning patterns on many =
different pianos.  Although I've only been tuning part-time for two =
years now, I seem to keep coming back to the pattern I first learned.  =
Here is what I do.

1.  Strip mute the entire piano

2. Tune the temperament (I use a Vrtituner but prefer to do aural tuning =
checks as I go)

3. Tune octaves down to the tenor/bass break (using aural checks to make =
sure everything sounds ok)

4. Tune octaves up all the way to C88 (using aural checks to make sure =
everything sounds ok)

5.  Using the back muting method with a single rubber mute, pull in all =
the unisons from C88 on down to the bass/tenor break.

6.  Tune down to A0 from the tenor/bass break, pulling in the bi-chords =
as I go along.

That's it.  I've tried doing unisons as I go but for some reason, I seem =
to get a better tuning overall if I use the above method.

I curious what some you you seasoned veterans think about this method - =
it's advantages and/or drawbacks. =20

What patterns have you found to work best?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Corte Swearingen
Associate Member PTG