Tuning Patterns

Mick mick@laughinggravy.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:01:16 -0000

I've never used a machine to tune with* I use the London College of
Furniture system starting at C40 (using a C523.4 fork). I progressed to this
having been originally taught a system based on 3rds and 6ths by a lecturer
who apprenticed at the Danneman factory.

 I mute the temperament, tune F34 - F#46, pull out the strip and tune the
unisons. I often replace the strip and tweak over the temperament again,
before tuning right up to C88 then right down to A1.

On a big pitch change - say 150-200 cents - I'll start at A1 and yank the
thing up without any wedges at all, pulling up to maybe 20 cents sharp over
successive octaves as I go. I only mute the temperament octave, and then
only after the second pass. Then I'll tune the temperament, bichords, then
the top treble, then the monos. On the last pass I tune right up to C88,
then down to A1 from E32.

(*except once, to measure Gamelan pitches for a concert tuning featuring
piano and Gamelan)

Mick Danby