Internet Piano Purchase

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:17:23 -0500

Has anyone ever made a private purchase of a piano found over the internet? I am buying a salvage grand for a couple thousand dollars and I feel quite comfortable with the piano (had a very trusty piano tech check it out for me - Zen Reinhardt), and reasonably comfortable with the seller. But of course, I don't really know him. The arrangements we have made is that I will mail him a $500 check for a deposit (haven't sent it yet, but he is waiting). He will bring piano to me in a couple weeks (piano is in Michigan, I am in Florida) between Christmas and New Years and final payment will be handled at the time of delivery.

So what on earth is one to do contract-wise? When I buy an old car or piano face-to-face, you can make the $ and contract exchange at the same time. How does one handle this long distance? Thanks for any scholarly (or not so scholarly) advice.

Terry Farrell