Oh Paleeeeese!! <was "I've had enough of this garbage!">

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:14:32 -0800

> After more than three years of being with this group, I've had enough!
> Pianotech has been turned into a Political battleground, social club,
> lonely hearts club
> with some great piano information buried in this garbage and crap!

...And your point would be???????  I think you miss the point here.  That
"IS" pianotech.  Rather than going through this again below is a repost of
my commentary on this topic earlier.  Read it.  Then re-read it.  Then
memorize it.  Then if you decide you don't want to be here, well.... don't
hit yourself in the fanny on the way out.  The rest of us will still be
here.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV
<<RE-POST>>

I have been on this list continuously now for about six years.  I have seen
many names come and go over the years.  Some leave and come back, others
have never returned.  Frequently some new blood appears.  With so many new
people it is no wonder that the same topics recycle again and again with
each new generation.  Sometimes people get upset with each other.  Then it
passes and all is right again.  "Off topics" have littered the list since
the beginning.  I suspect they always will.  Sometimes there is humor,
sometimes they are serious.

We've talked about pianos in general, pianists, technical, tuning,
rebuilding, customers not paying bills, advertising, public schools,
universities, budgets, conventions, trade shows, dealers, other technicians,
insurance, financing, general business topics, cats peeing in pianos, pianos
in floods, pianos in fires, pianos that should be burned, vandalism, glue,
strings, hammers, springs, fees, brands, manufacturing, refinishing, wheels,
lids, bushings, center pins, cleaning, tools, wood, just about anything you
can thing of.  We've also occasionally discussed politics, off topic humor,
people, places, food, holidays, computers, money, television, movies,
drinking, gambling, sex, and rock and roll.

Censorship has also been discussed from the beginning.  It has never
happened and I think for a very good reason.  The majority of us don't want
it.  What is the pianotech list?  Well... it's about a bunch of technicians
who get together in cyber space and have discussions.  We talk on topic,
(most of the time), and occasionally talk off topic.  Why?  Because we are a
happy group and we have "conversation" just as if we were in a casual
setting at a convention with other technicians.  There are no specific rules
here.  The general topic is pianos.  Sometimes we just goof around a little
bit and have fun doing it.  It is a "human" environment where people don't
want to become tech-ish all the time.  We get that enough when we're
working.

So what does this all mean?  It means, (and this is my opinion but which I
know it is widely shared), lighten up!  Leave the serious forms to the
university chat room geeks who have no life to speak , wear pocket
protectors with a hardware store stuffed in them, and dream about wires and
gears in their sleep.  We CAN relax and have fun here and we CAN talk
technical about pianos at the same time.  Take a look at your keyboard for a
moment.  Just to the right of the "enter" key and just below the "insert"
key there is another little key that says "Delete".  If a topic arises that
you don't wish to read or the author of a topic gives you the runs, just
push it and the message will disappear in .00349276 nano-seconds.  Then you
will be happy and bubbly again and everything will be right in your world.