Cantering the Panel ?

Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:44:43 +0100

Mike and Jane Spalding wrote:

> Ric,
>
> So, to summarize, you tuned from C3 up to C5, then from C8 down to C5, then (you didn't mention this, but let's assume) A0 up to C3?

To be more exact... I tuned my temperament first.. A3 - A4 then expanded to C4 down to the bass/tenor break. Then I did tuned up to C5 and down from C8 to F6 and then double checked the pitch for C5 to F6 for any changes. Then the bass.

This was the pitch raise. Then I fine tuned in a second pass as I usually tune.

> Then, I presume, you did at least one more pass for fine tuning?  What did you find in the fine tune pass?  any areas significantly high or low?  The reason I ask is, I have noticed on several big pitch raises (75 to 125 cent) this winter, that when I pitch raise from A0 to C88 unisons as I go, the killer octave F5-F6 ends up way flat. like 5 to  10 cents.

Yes, thats what I usually find, which is why this suprised me. Try it and see what you come up with. Perhaps its just a fluke ??

> Could be the nature of the specific pianos or their neglect, I suppose.  Anyway, I might try your method, assuming it doesn't leave some OTHER area of the instrument flat at the end of the pitch-raise pass.  Did the old timer recommend this order for fine tuning also, or just for pitch raising?

He always tunes this way, said he learned it from his days as a stringer.

> thanks,
>
> Mike Spalding RPT

Cheers

--