Ripoffs of Tooners & Ravages of Age

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:30:38 -0600

Called to a magnificently and beautifully refinished 1890 B. Shoninger =
upright (serial 12373). What a work of art. Many quality features =
evident in the design of the action, etc.

Too bad the soundboard is all cracked up.
Too bad the hammers are shot.
Too bad mice have chewed up several keybuttons. (Isn't that agnawing!)
Too bad the action is so worn and fragile.
Too bad the strings are totally rusted.
Too bad the pinblock has only 10-20 inch-lbs torque

Too bad some tooner "completely rebuilt" this piano for the owner's =
mother about five years ago (He did replace the flat damper felts, rest =
rail felt, and 8 hammer-butts, apparently).

Too bad he (or someone) turned all the front rail pins about 30 degrees =
to compensate (?) for the slop in the slots.

This is the second time I've been called to a piano AFTER they have =
labored long and hard to restore the case ... only to find the guts are =
mess.

Now I know what that thread on condemning pianos was all about. It was =
painful to pronounce PSO on this one.=20

Alan Barnard
Upright Undertaker from Salem, MO