MC Fun

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:27:06 -0500

I've been playing around with seeing how accurately I can determine =
spruce moisture content for drying a panel prior to ribbing. I am =
determining MC by oven drying samples in my kitchen oven. A discrepancy =
I have been unsuccessful in resolving is that the Forest Handbook (and =
other sources) has charts that clearly suggest that wood at EMC in my =
shop at 68 degrees F and 40% RH should be 8.3% (from =
http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/emc.htm , which also has the Forest =
Handbook data). When I oven dry samples I am pretty consistently getting =
an initial MC about 1% greater than the tables suggest: my last sample =
came out to 9.55% EMC in my shop (the environment in my shop has been =
steady for weeks).

>From what I can gather, greater than 1% uncertainty is not good. That =
would mean I would have no idea whether I am reaching an EMC of 6% or 5% =
- very different goal for very different soundboard designs, and to the =
best of my knowledge, not interchangeable.

I think part of why I am getting greater initial MC values may be from =
the release of volatile organic compounds during the oven drying process =
in addition to water. A couple papers I have found on the topic suggest =
that this can become a factor with some VOC-rich woods - and I think =
spruce and other softwoods would fit this bill much more readily than =
most hardwoods. Additionally, my oven cycles between 215 degrees and 250 =
degrees, the high temperatures, I suppose, encourages a loss of VOCs, =
and thus additional weight.

Gee, whizzzz. I really don't want to go out and buy a laboratory-grade =
oven. Any good ideas?

I know, I know. Quit worrying about it and build a board. Well, I'm a =
perfectionist, and I have not yet received my spruce order. So until =
then I'll just have to spaz out a bit!

Along the way I found a few fun things related to MC:

The first addresses "how long does it take for wood to reach EMC?"

Air Drying:=20
Wood moisture eventually comes to an equilibrium with air moisture,
 approximately to relative humidity=20
   (RH)  0  10  20  30  40  50  60  70  80  90  100=20
MC %  0   3    5     7    9   11  13  15  18  23   35=20
At MC lower than the fiber saturation point (usually 35%), moisture =
change takes place by diffusion within the wood. The standard diffusion =
equation may be written as=20
t =3D L=B2 / D=20
where=20
D =3D 1x10-6 cm=B2/s transverse and radial, 1x10-5 cm=B2/s lengthwise,=20
L is the length along the direction of diffusion.=20
t is the time to 1/e of the moisture change, that is to 63% of the =
equilibrium change.=20
So, if you have a piece of seasoned wood 2 cm thick that is at the 15% =
MC of typical outdoors storage here, and you want to estimate how fast =
it will come to equilibrium in your workshop at 30% RH (7% MC) if =
exposed to air both sides, L =3D 1 cm and the diffusion equation gives t =
=3D 1x106 s, 11 days. The equilibrium MC change required is 8%, so in 11 =
days you can expect 63% of 8% =3D 5% lower MC, that is 10% total MC. =
That leaves 3% to go, and you can expect 63% of that 3% to take place =
over the next 11 days, to 8% MC. So, 3 weeks should be enough time for 2 =
cm thick wood. If your wood is 4 cm thick, it will take 3 months, 6 cm =
thick, 7 months. According to the literature, most seasoned temperate =
woods change moisture at a rate within =B120% of this.=20

And another addresses "how much does wood/spruce change dimentionally =
with changes in MC?"

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm  -  a great little =
calculator.