-

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:36:10 -0600

Today, I did a semi-emergency service call and tuning. At last year's
Christmas party, a vase of flowers was overturned into the piano and at
least a quart of water poured inside. They figured that since it was
getting close to Christmas again, they should see if any damage was done
and get it tuned for this year.

The piano is a small Wurlitzer grand with a laminated soundboard. While the
surface veneer was checked up noticeably, it wasn't obviously hurt too
badly by the dousing. I got the impression that the damage would have been
more severe to a solid board, but perhaps not. Fortunately, the water ran
off of the board before it soaked clear through. Unfortunately, it ran into
the action.

Some water stains on the hammers, sustenuto tabs that didn't move so good,
and some horrendous squeaks in the damper tray hinges seemed to be the
worst of it. They got lucky. An hour and a half of lubricating damper
guides, blocks, and sustenuto tabs, tightening screws, re-pinning tray
hinges, and re-mounting lyre braces took care of enough of the problems to
meet the objective.

It was amazing how easy it was to get the tray out, considering how hard it
was to get the cheek blocks and key slip off. The tray flange screws were
easily accessible through slots milled through the lever arms between the
flanges and the tray. Came right out, slick as you please. After re-pinning
the four outsized flanges, I discovered that the screw head wouldn't pass
through the milled slot to screw the tray back on. With hard headed
tenacity and a magnetic screw retriever, I managed to squeeze in underneath
the tray holding a screw between two fingers, snag it with the magnet stuck
through the milled slot, guide the screw into the hole with one finger and
the magnet, and holding the screw in the hole with the finger, remove the
magnet and insert the screwdriver. I'm glad it worked, because that's the
only idea I had that even came close to having a chance. The cramps should
subside any time now.
Ron N