organ donor!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:37:49 -0600

>Greetings all,
>    Would somebody that has ANY experience with these things give me a rough
>idea of value for the following?
>I have been asked to give an "Independent Estimated Value" for a donation.
>Thanks
>Ed Foote RPT
> > Storey & Clark  pump organ
>
> >   The organ is a single manual, mahogany cased
> >instrument.  It is in excellent playing condition (all
> >notes and stops work), but for a small hole in the bellows.
> >It plays, but you have a work up a lather to keep it going.
> >That's probably not a terrible drawback since  it should perhaps have a
>suction blower
> >installed on it anyway.  It also looks great, except that
> >someone sometime removed the candleholders on top
> >(unnecessary, and you won't know it unless you knew the
> >model).  All in all, it's not the fanciest organ from that
> >period, but not the plainest either:  probably a mid-range
> >instrument.
>
>Ed Foote RPT

Hi Ed,
These old things all fit the above description. They sit in a corner unused
for eighty years until someone buys them at usually too great an expense
and hauls them home. Wow, it still works! But the more they play, the more
the old petrified leather and rubber flakes off and falls apart, and the
faster they have to pump to stay ahead of the leaks. Much too soon, they no
longer can and THEN they call to find out what it costs to get them working
again. Can't be much, you know, because it worked fine last year. They have
no established market value whatsoever, all need rebuilt (even if they
currently "work"), and are only worth what the buyer's glandular secretions
determine. For a glorified harmonica, they're pretty neat, but only to a
very small number of scattered (and cheap) deviants. I've seen them go for
anything from free to around $3,000 for a big ornate one. $200 or under is
probably about right for this one if the prospective  buyer wants to get in
under $2,000 total to get it working without refinishing it.

Ron N