Brass Rail Replacements/Schaff/annealing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:57:48 -0600

>Silver solder melts at a very low temperature. Annealing requires very high
>temperatures to be effective. Therefore, if the rail is not INTACT before
>annealing, no amount of silversolder is going to do one damned bit of good.
>Just my opinion. My feeling is just get a replacement from Schaff, do the
>necessary fitting and be done with it. Another thought: No one has been able
>to tell me how long re-annealing will last, therefore, I don't trust it.
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Hi Joe,
Re-annealing? Was the brass originally installed annealed, or already work
hardened? Why would annealing not last in this application? Carl just
posted a 1200° annealing temperature. I find brass melting ranges from
1500° to 2100°, and silver solder melting temperatures from 1205°-1450°.

All things considered, I think Murphy was an optimist. I'd just replace
them too, or convert to wood flanges, and get the heck on with it.

Ron N