Humidity Quick Zap

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:49:51 -0600

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 04:46  PM, Bigeartb@aol.com wrote:

>      I WANT TO FREE IT UP...SLICK IT UP...TUNE IT UP AND THEN WORRY
> ABOUT THE DAMP CHASER LATER. I WANT IT 'FIXED NOW'. The question
> is....is this possible and how?

Maybe this is too obvious, but you could repin the flanges, reaming the
bushings slightly. When it's done, it's done, no waiting. It that isn't
instant enough, here is what I wrote on CAUT some time back on this
problem:

On 9/7/01 10:36 AM, "Avery Todd" <atodd@UH.EDU> wrote:

 > List,
 > > I'm sure most of you know about the flood and humidity problems
 > here in Houston. Because of what I assume are humidity related
 > problems, our newest 'D' (app. 3 yrs. old) is exhibiting some
 > excess friction in some of the hammer flanges and may also be
 > in the wippen flanges (I haven't checked that yet.)

These types of humidity problems may be exceptional in Houston, but
they are
routine here in Kansas City. I have the "solution" for you: Protek.

This year in KC the weather has not been unusually severe, other than
the
fact that the humidity has been up for months. The halls are measuring
about
78% RH right now. This kind of humidity for months at a time will push
some
flanges over the line, but I don't believe they are very far over that
"line".

The suggestion of using a Dampp-Chaser rod is probably good, given that
think these flanges are just barely over the line.

Our #1 D had a bound up jack and a bound up underlever top flange two
weeks
ago just as our Cliburn competition gold medalist was making his
triumphant
return and giving his celebratory concerts. I hit the offending flanges
with
Protek, worked the flanges a bit, and then they were fine. I have never
had
a failure in years of doing this.

I would recommend against alcohol/water because of the possibility of
overdoing it and the fact that that takes some time to work. In my
experience Protek in a tight flange is not going to do any harm once the
humidity goes down; you will still have a very nice firm flange.

Kent Swafford