OT?... interesting tidbit

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:27:51 -0600

Jim,

My wife thinks perhaps her rostromedial prefrontal cortex is MIA.  Did the study include people who can't remember tunes?  Which part of their brain, if any, lit up during the exercize?

all in fun

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: <JIMRPT@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 6:39 AM
Subject: OT?... interesting tidbit

by Paul Recer © The Associated Press

".........................
A new study by researchers at Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H., suggests
that recalling that melody is the job of a part of the brain known as the
rostromedial prefrontal cortex. It is the part that remembers music and is
even able to recognize a sour note in the midst of a familiar tune.

A team led by researcher Petr Janata of Dartmouth's Center for Cognitive
Neuroscience explored the mind's memory for tunes by studying the brains of
eight musicians as they listened to a bit of original music.

Using functional magnetic resonance imaging, which detects the part of the
brain active in response to specific stimuli, they found that the ability to
recognize music is contained in a centrally located area just behind the
forehead.

Janata said that part of the brain also plays a key role in learning and in
the response and control of emotions.

``Our results provide a stronger foundation for explaining the link between
music, emotion and the brain,'' Janata

Hmmm............... interesting  I wonder if this "rostromedial prefrontal
cortex" plays a role in 'perfect pitch' thingees??
Jim Bryant (FL)