Soundboard Duplication

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:23:48 -0500

Hello Terry,

The only thing that worries me is that the new board has to sound
better than the old one. There is no way I can know for sure what the
conditions were when the old board was bellied. When I see a flat
board that has no sustain, or a board that was shimmed but is still
flat and has no sustain, I feel certain that just making a new board
with new crowned ribs and using a caul that has a smaller radius than
the ribs, I should end up with a better singing instrument. Is it
going to be better than a new piano ? I don't know and don't care (but
I wish it will). As long as I experiment on pianos that I own for the
time being, I'm learning. This is the important thing. Some things
can't be bought. Experience is one of them. So, my friend, just try to
do your best and accept the results and soon enough you'll be able to
teach us all something. You'll be able to tell us what has worked for
you and how you've reached your goals.

Best of luck (I think experimenting needs it a bit).

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC

ps: I just finished crowning the board for my M&H A. I find I have a
little bit too much crown for my taste. I'll let you know how it
sounds when finished.