Epoxy Repair to bridge top

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:03:25 -0500

Folks,
         I've never done this procedure but I have a question. When
planning and re notching the bass bridge you could be removing a
significant amount of material. What does this do to the downbearing
measurements? Is this a significant area of concern? .... o.k. 2 questions.

Greg Newell

At 11:15 PM 12/16/2002, you wrote:

>Dale,
>
>I just finished re-pinning a bridge, wet.  I followed the procedure in
>Bill Spurlock's Journal article of a decade or so ago.  Remove old pins,
>plane bridge top to bottom of string grooves, re-notch.  Coat inside of
>holes with epoxy using piano wire.  Dip new pins in epoxy and slip/drive
>into holes.  Brush excess epoxy to coat bridge top and notches.  Dip brush
>in lacquer thinner, brush top (not notches), wipe brush in rag, dip in
>lacquer thinner, repeat, to penetrate bridge top with thinned epoxy and
>remove excess.  (I don't like the resultant thick glossy epoxy coating on
>the notches, so will rub the gloss out with steel wool, and next time will
>do the solvent brush thing on notches as well as bridge top.)  Let cure,
>paint the bridge top with DAG thinned 2:1 with DN Alcohol.  But overall
>I'm very satisfied with how it looks - won't know for a couple months how
>it sounds.
>
>Mike

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net