Soundboardcrown

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:30:55 -0500

Peter,

Here are my results and procedure:

I started with ribs that were crowned to a radius of 65 feet.
Made cauls that had a average radius of 47 ft
Dried the soundboard to a 4.48 % MC (Moisture content)
When I took the board out of the press, I had a crown of 45 feet
radius; now, after a week I have 3/8" between the longest ribs (45.5")
which gives me a radius of 57.5 feet. I'm quite happy with this crown
(Mason & Hamlin "A").

Maybe Del will have a different opinion, and I hope he will share his
thoughts on these figures.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC