New Tuner

thomas adams tadams2@satx.rr.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:38:09 -0600

Luckily,=20
The gentle that has taken me under his wing is mainly a rebuilder.  I =
will need some tutoring in tuning though, as self admittedly, he is not =
a good tuner, and only tunes when he has too, such as after finishing a =
rebuild.  I do consider myself lucky though, as he promptly delivered an =
old Kimball upright to my garage as my homework and text book!.  I am =
grateful for his mentorship and has given me a great opportunity.  I =
have however a full time job currently, and this limits my time to =
devote to my new trade.  I am considering the Randy Potter course in =
conjunction with my hands on learning....thoughts on Randy's course?
Tom
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SidewaysWell1713@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 6:17 PM
  Subject: Re: New Tuner

  In a message dated 12/17/02 3:07:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
tadams2@satx.rr.com writes:

    Hello list,=20
    As an  new list member and aspiring  tuner, I have one question, =
(actually many, but one for now).  Do most of you tune by ear, or with =
an electronic tuner, or a combination of both? Thanks,
    Tom

  A question like this is always welcome.  Most of the people who =
subscribe to this list are professionals of many years, even multiple =
decades.  Sometimes we run out of things to talk about and start talking =
about each other.  So, ask away, you'll get lots of answers.  One thing =
I expect you'll see as I have is that for every very strongly held =
opinion you read, you'll eventually read one that seems to (or even =
obviously) contradicts it.  The ultimate irony you'll find is that =
*both* opinions will be valid.

  I have read the other responses and do not disagree with any opinion =
so far but I do lean in the direction of aural tuning first.  I read =
lots of claims by Electronic Tuning Device (ETD) users who say that they =
can hardly improve on the tuning the ETD produces.  Yet, aural tuners =
consider what an ETD produces as only a starting place, a "rough" tuning =
which should be refined by ear to be truly excellent.

  If you truly want to be a piano technician who is a master of his =
trade, you must learn to tune aurally and be able to please a concert =
artist with an aural tuning.  You must also learn how to clean piano =
interiors, repair, align and regulate actions and voice hammers.  You do =
not need to become a rebuilder but it will benefit your skills if you =
work somehow in the rebuilding end of the business for a while.

  When I was a youngster, I wanted to learn to be a piano tuner and =
never wanted to do anything more than tune.  I found out the hard way =
that many other skills are necessary in order to make a business of it.  =
There are some people who are simply hobbyists.  Professional piano =
technicians most often frown upon and discourage that.

  Let us hear more from you.
  Bill Bremmer RPT
  Madison, Wisconsin
  Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-