Soundboardcrown

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:04:02 -0500

Hi Del.

Ron N. wrote:

> It would arc anyway because of the ribs, regardless of whether or not it
> was glued to the rim. Are you intending the rim to maintain the crown?

That's what I was getting at. It sounded to me like he was expecting the board to expand, the rim to stay put, and thus put the crown in the board.

Del wrote:

> What Peter is doing is simply taking the compression out of the panel
> temporarily, letting the assembly flatten out, and then gluing it to the
> rim. As moisture goes back into the panel it once again becomes a
> compression-crowned soundboard assembly.

My understanding was that Peter glued the ribs to the panel while all were EMCed at 60% RH. The only reason there was a little bit of crown in the board before putting into piano was because he pressed the flat ribs into a caul that bent under the air pressure. So I suppose that would indeed put a little compression into the board. But then he dried it way down and glued it into the rim. I think he is under the impression that drying down the ribbed board and gluing it into the case is going to produce a bunch of crown because the rim will be rigid and support that crown.

That's why I suggested that process might not hold much water, let alone crown.

Terry Farrell