Bridgetop Extravaganza Revisited

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:43:24 EST

Jon writes:
>As detailed in the Renner USA pamphlet on voicing by Rick Baldassin. This
> removal of the natural curve
>in the wire starts at the rear duplex, then the bridge pins, then the front
> termination at the capo bar.

    If I might add some to this; I think the removal of the natural curves
should include the the two sides at the hitch pin.  Strings which were
installed a year before, and had all the above curves settled in, will still
measurably drop when the wire is given a squeeze on either side of the hitch
pin!  So, does it not stand to reason that the rear-most bend should be
eliminated also?  If you have previously straightened the wire curves on the
distal side of the bridge pins, the slight movement of this rear-most
straightening will then allow the bends to move toward the speaking length
and center themselves on the  bridge pins. After which, a very light tap
will further straighten out the wire behind and in front of the bridge.
    In following this idea out,  the tighter coiling on bass string hitch pin
loops also has a lot of slack in it.  On bass strings that have been
installed long enough to be "stable", it is still common to cause a 5-10 cent
drop simply by grabbing the tight part of the hitch pin loop with a pair of
Vice-grips set to pretty snug, and gently rocking it from side to side.
   On restringing jobs, I like to chip twice to about 8 cents sharp before
doing ANY of this straightening.  If time allows, a few days of settling
between the chippings is good.   Whereas a new piano seems to take a year or
two to settle down,  that is the soundboard and case relaxing. When I replace
a broken string in an old piano, it can be stable in a week, so I don't think
the stability problems are in the wire, itself.
    For stability, the tuning pin coil must be tightened, as it will have
some slack in it,no matter what.  This can be minimized by tight coils, then
tightening the becket, and then leveling them.  Even after this, it will be
found that grabbing the coil with pliars and twisting it in the direction of
its turn will cause a significant drop in pitch as it winds more tightly on
the pin.
    It is also wasted effort to attempt to level the strings on a piano that
hasn't had the strings settled, since it takes very little movement under the
agraffe to go back out of level.
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/