Yamaha Puzzle

Dick Day pianotoone@hotmail.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:54:33 -0500

Today I was called to service a nice Yamaha GH1 grand.  I had tuned it last
June.  the lady said it had gone back out of tune.

Upon investigation I found that the only badly out of tune notes were from
B3 up to the plate stut near G5.  They were ALL about 75c flat.

Pins were tight, no cracked block, bridge was firmly fastened.

The only thing that I could see wrong was.....

All of the hammers for the out of tune notes had a brown stain that started
at the top (not striking surface) and went back about 3/4".  If you looked
inside the piano from above past the dampers and down to the hammers, you
would find that the stain was in the same vertical plane as the back of the
damper.  When I lifted the dampers, on the out of tune strings, I found that
the strings where the damper touched were black.  This black was not under
the front section of a two felt damper only the back...and it would not rub
off.  These conditions did not exist when I tuned the instrument last June

The lady said the piano lid was always closed and nobody had spilled
anything in the piano and there were no animals in the house.  The house is
air conditioned and although we had some high humidity here last summer, I
cannot imagine what caused the stian on the stings and hammers nor why only
about 2 octaves in the middle was so grossly out of tune when the rest of
piano was only 2-3 cents flat...even the high treble.

Waiting with baited breath

By the Bye....Happy Holidays to all

Dick Day
Marshall MI