pressure bar

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:55:26 EST

JackHouweling@dccnet.com writes:

> Hello
>   I am restringing a Willis upright. I took a gauge of the pressure bar
> before removing the old strings. I have now lost the gauge. How do you set
> the height of the pressure bar.
>                                 Thanks  Jack

Jack

I've restrung a few uprights, and found that you need to leave a lot of slack
on the strings in order to install the pressure bar. On a grand, you can
bring the strings almost up to pitch as you go along. But on an upright,
where a pressure bar has to be installed, you need to leave the strings very
loose.

When you do put the par on, put the screws in enough to hold the bar in
place. Then tighten each one of them a little at a time, so that the pressure
is increased as even across the pressure bar as possible. Otherwise you'll
run the risk of bending the bar. When you think you have enough bearing at
one end, I would then suggest you take a measurement of the distance between
the plate and the bar, and then make sure you have the same measurement along
the whole bar. It is sometimes very difficult to eye ball that distance. You
want to get within .5 mm at each screw. When you've got all the screws
tightened down, then bring the strings up to pitch and chip tune.

Wim