Bridgetop Extravaganza Revisited

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:38:11 -0600

>Does that mean that you should add to the measured crown when using the
>string test from underneath for the same reason?
>
>David Love

Hi David,
My thought is that since the interface between rib and panel in a
compression crowned board is where the forces go from tension at the top of
the rib, to compression at the bottom of the panel, that's where crown
should be measured, regardless of the contouring of the top of the panel.
Even though the forces are different in a rib crowned board, I still think
crown measurement should be taken on the bottom of the panel because the
relationship of panel to rib is still what you want to know as much as you
can about.

Ron N