[ctuner] Brahms & Well Temperament

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 00:29:13 EST

Richard writes:

>    Its a quibble perhaps, (for sure really) but yes, some of us
> tuners at least, are all ears to know which "well temperament"
> Edwin Good, one of the curators of the recent Piano 300 exhibit at
> the Smithsonian, adores.

    I would be surprised if many pianists accustomed to the well-tempered
tunings would quibble over the differences between a modern Coleman 11,
engineered on a spread-sheeet, or the form of the Moore and Co.  that
Jorgensen offers.  Or even for that matter, virtually any of the 19th century
tunings that keep the widest third below 17-18cents or so.  Owen's chapter on
"Tuning to Taste" in "Tuning"  lets any tuner try the gamut.  I do have some
customers that have tried them all and selected the one that pleases them
best, all around, but all of them say the huge difference is between ET and
any of them.
   Of some importance is the fact that one person's attraction for a tuning
doesn't answer too many questions for others,  it only suggests a starting
place.  Like opening with a pretty big wine with really strong cheddar
cheese.  Some may still prefer a lite-white, but many find that out of
balance.  There is no "perfect" temperament for everyone.   Some respondents
have fallen in love with 1/4 comma Mozart on our CD and I still work for
people that like every third to be the same.
   Mr. Good's preference of a particular tuning for Brahms isn't a reflection
on any exact temperament as much as it is of his personal aesthetic sense of
harmony. Since a pianist can, in a highly tempered key, play either
expressively or harshly, one's preference may not suit another.   Maybe
changing the instrument's voicing would cause him to switch his preferred
tuning, or he could possibly think another temperament would sound best for
someone else's playing.
    Simply switching temperaments doesn't automatically "color" the music to
its optimum.  The pianist has to do the actual creation of musical
sensations, and they all do it differently. in fact, I think the musicians'
interpretation makes a bigger difference in the music's impact that any
difference between the typical  Victorian tunings.  And I really like some of
those temperaments!

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
<A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">