3 gorgeous 1890's Knabe uprights for sale, unrestored.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:52:59 -0800 (PST)

My, what a conflagration a tiny little spark can
produce on this list, calm ones!!!
     O.K. The "B" was NOT restored. But it spent 70
years covered under a pile of quilts in a climate
controlled storage room, and was in as near-mint
condition as one could possibly find, and a LOT better
sounding than many new Steinways!
     Have ye who ridiculed me actually HEARD the bass
on an 1890's, 3 bridge Knabe upright? The plate goes
all the way through the bottom board of the piano to
enable maximum string length, and the soundboard
( unlike Steinways ) is rib-crowned, and VERY, VERY
BEAUTIFULLY made!!!! By the early 1900's, such quality
had vanished from the Knabe line.
     Yes, it had sort of an "upright" sound. That is
inevitable. But thunderous. Does that mean it is any
less pleasing, necessarily? And the actions on these
pianos are amazingly balamnnced. As close to a grand
as any upright I have played.
     Hugh Hodgson, longtime head of the music
department at the University of Georgia, had 17 pianos
in his mansion. Masons, Steinways, etc, all from their
peak years.. A Knabe upright of the same model as the
ones I am selling was his favorite to play, so I have
been told by his descendants.
     Today, one of the finest auditoriums in the
country is named after him.
     Maybe he knew something.
     Thump