OT -- Laptop batteries

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:49:09

Hi Greg,

Yes they will -- especially since you have already "pried" one open.
Another alternative is to use lead acid gel cells to make an admittedly
heavy but very reliable external battery.

Unfortunately lithium batteries deterorate with age. Not using them at all,
it is thought, may almost accerlerate this aging factor.

You may also be able to replace the relatively expensive Lithium batteries
with Ni-cads which will offer *far* more cycles--provided you are prepared
to always run them til they are dead, so that the "memory effect" doesn't
occur.

Try looking here for a local or nearby business:

http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byB/serv/rMain/rMain.shtml

At 01:16 AM 12/23/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Don,
>         Less than a year ago i bought a battery off of E-Bay and found
>that it held just about as much charge as the one it was supposed to
>replace. This was less than I had hoped for. I e-mailed the guy who sold it
>to me and to his credit he promptly shipped out another one. This second
>effort was only slightly better than the first. For almost a year now i
>have been carrying around 3 semi - chargable Lithium Ion batteries which,
>when new, should give me a usable time of about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. 3
>Batteries are getting kinda heavy. Where would I find such a "battery
>depot"? Your not talking about Radio Shack are you? they seem to be getting
>more worthless with each passing year.
>         I pried open one of these packs for my Toshiba Satellite and found
>9 (I think) cells that look about the size of AA's and they're all soldered
>together. Are you saying that such a "battery depot" would solder in new
>ones for me? Wow! That would be great!!! I'm thinking that the reason I got
>the 2 low life ones from e - Bay is that they were nearer the end of their
>shelf life than the beginning. It would seem that such a "battery depot"
>might have fresher stock. please forward whatever info you may have. I've
>nursed this laptop along this far. I see no reason to stop now.  Thanks!
>
>Greg Newell

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/