Cents to Hertz Conversion Chart

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:41:58 -0600

When I'm asked to tune the piano to an organ (rotsa ruck) I have someone =
hold an 8' flute stop (only) and either measure it with an ETD or listen =
to the beat rate against F21. But, as you suggest, with a pipe organ =
it's a crap shoot anyway. Even if you have temperature and humidity =
exactly the way it will be when folks walk in the door on Sunday, they =
are going to change that environment dramatically just by walking in the =
door. Another little problem pipe organs have (don't get me wrong, I =
love 'em) is that barometric pressure also affects pitch an timbre in =
those pipes--probably not noticeable by most people most of the time, =
but for that fellow who wants it "in tune" with the piano ....=20

Anyone out there tune for big churches or the Mormon Tabernacle, or some =
similar place, where this is dealt with? Love to hear from you on this.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. BTW, a carefully shoved mute will hold down that A key on the =
organ.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bigeartb@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 5:53 PM
  Subject: Re: Cents to Hertz Conversion Chart

  Willem:
       Just last week the pipe orgran tuner from Nashville tuned the =
organ 13 cents flat and let a note for me to tune the piano "quote....a =
little below A-440".    #*%^$///...how much is a little . I am still not =
quite sure how many 'cents' there are per 'beat' between A-440 & A-439  =
& on down the cycles per second band.
       Normally, I tune the piano to A-440 and never try to catch the =
changing pitch of a pipe organ depending upon the temperature but this =
time because the music director was my buddy, I tuned to the 'whatever =
pitch' flat organ.
  Tommy Black
  Decatur, Ala.