Course of action for learning

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 03:21:18 -0600

At 3:31 PM -0600 12/25/02, keys88 wrote:
>I was hoping someone may be able to give me a little guidance on how
>I may best proceed in learning the tuning process?  I suppose I need
>to just start doing it?  I do have a good piano that is in tune and
>well regulated.

I have considered your request to be quite a challenge, and have
decided that without someone to be a mentor and provide you on hands
feedback from time to time, you are in for a long haul.

The simplest introduction to tuning a piano I know is contained in
the publication:
_Piano Tuning, A Simple and Accurate Method for Amateurs_ by J. Cree Fischer.

The fastest, but somewhat reckless way, to help you realize whether
you will be able to quickly grasp the fundamental principles of piano
tuning is to detune your own piano. I *guarantee* you will have a
rude awakening trying to get it back in tune.

Purchasing a second hand piano for practice purposes would be a more
sensible thing to do.

Read as many materials possible, both in published books and in the
Pianotech Archives  https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/   , hang
out at as many piano type meetings, seminars, conventions as possible
and practice on practice type pianos.

When I look back over the years in this profession, it seems like it
took forever for me learn just the basics of what is really needed
and what to leave alone.

Good luck,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician