Aural versus ETD tuning training

Thu, 26 Dec 2002 08:38:47 -0800

Unfortunately, concert venues and dealerships are not always motivated by
the most skilled technicians, sometimes price is the overriding factor.  I
don't know the situation here, of course, but there's probably more to
replacing a technician with a 20 year relationship than beautiful unisons.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Ballard" <yardbird@vermontel.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 25, 2002 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: Aural versus ETD tuning training

At 9:15 AM -0800 12/24/02, Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:
>One of my students who started with the SAT III in Jan 2002 tuned
>for his first Concert Prep in Mar 2002. His work was liked so much
>that he has replaced a 20 year aural tuner at this venue. He works
>for a dealer who is a fine classically trained pianist who can
>really hear. This tuner is now the preferred tuner at that dealership.
>His aural unisons are
>impeccable. His aural sense of balancing out the stretch of the
>octaves is quite acceptable now. He is beginning to work on aural
>temperament. In his last session with me he tuned a perfect 7 pbs
>for the F3-A3 M3rd upon his first attempt. In another few weeks he
>should have the temperament down to a fine degree.

I'm sure he's a remarkable student, Jim. I'm also sure that his gifts
are the exception rather than the rule, that students such as he are
few and far between.

>Of course he has
>the SAT III as an ever present tutor.

What is it teaching him, if I may ask? How to tune a piano to a
machine? How to visually confirm the unison tuning of coincidental
partials? Actually all I needed to her (which you've told me) is that
he has exceptional musical skills and that he has no trouble with
aural unisons.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."