3 gorgeous 1890's Knabe uprights for sale, unrestored.

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:19:18 -0700

>>... Only one of them, a 1904 B that was restrung, could hold its own
>>against your run of the mill 1950s Baldwin Acrosonic - although this
>>B also has a poor killer octave area. A couple of mine are from the
>>20s, but the rest are from the mid 1940s to the mid 1970s. And let's
>>not even get into the Mack-truck actions...
>>Terry Farrell
>
>I have read your generally, salty comments throughout this year with
>regards to Steinway & Sons products. Personally I consider this type
>of statement above, and so many of those others, bordering on nothing
>short of what appears to be a deep-seated grudge. Why I don't know.
>
> From my viewpoint you've got real issues with this particular
>subject. I'm certain you're a fine person overall and likely excel in
>many areas of the piano world, however, I can't digest these potshot
>comments of yours anymore.
>
>And somehow making light of it after two others' more decidedly,
>relevant posts just doesn't seem to cut it for me. After at least a
>year of being reminded of your disdain for their products, I have
>truly lost the desire to take the chance on reading anymore of them.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Keith McGavern
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731
>Piano Technicians Guild
>USA

Boys, boys....it's the holiday season; lighten up.

Fact:  no Acrosonic is ever, ever going to kick a Steinway's booty.  End
of story.
Fact:  American Steinways made between 1960 and 1984 sucked in many
definable, objectifiable
          ways.
Fact:  ANY piano abused and unserviced for decades is going to sound and
feel like sh**t.
Fact:  Tidy that 70's B up, re-whatever it, and if the board's okay,
it'll rock your world.

Mr. Farrell: beautiful Steinways are beautiful; that's why a big
percentage of current world-class artists choose to play and record on a
Steinway----it's the sound they want. Bad Steinways----dead boards,
dead strings, Teflon parts, bad geometry----are bad.  Simple.  Don't
throw the baby out with the bathwater.  I maintain over 100 Steinway
grands.  Most of them are gorgeous.

David Andersen
Malibu, CA