touch friction - felts buckskin weights

rwgrandcolas@netscape.net rwgrandcolas@netscape.net
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:34:03 -0500

Iā€™m an amateur who only works on my own piano.

I have an upright console piano Kurtzmann made around 1978 probably made by Gordon Laughead the action is made by Pratt and Read ā€“ for the most part it is in very good condition ā€“ appears new inside and out but it gets played allot.
This console uses the dowel capstans.
The keys are not weighted.
There is a bit too much friction in the touch of the keys for my taste ā€“ there always has been.
I took the regulation out and examined it.
I found that the material on the under side of the hammer-buts (where the jack pushes the hammer-but) is felt not buck-skin and is very worn.  Deeply grooved and felt is worn down to the base material.
The Reblitz book said this material should be buckskin.
I also noticed that felt on the under side of the wippens is notched and flattened where the capstan hits it.

Would you recommend that I replace the hammer-but material with buckskin?
and replace all the felts under the wippens?

Do you think this might improve the touch a bit?

What is your opinion on key weights?