Aural versus ETD tuning training

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:53:59 +0100

pianolover 88 wrote:

> If anyone believes that, then they probably also believe that the home
> computer has "diluted" the "craft" of writing, or doing our bookeeping,
> taxes and all the other mundane things that we used to do by hand.  Come on!
> I haven't had to use an "eraser" or "white-out" in years..and that's a GOOD
> thing!

Au contrair mon ami. I am also a bit sceptical to the net affect. I
think this particular chapter has not been written finished yet. There
is a lot about ETD usage that gets ignored in all the fervour to defend
and admonish.

But truth be told, what little statistics we have actually assembled
seem to point in the direction that for a few dedicated types, ETD use
has been of great benifit and ETD's have helped these to understand (and
teach the rest of us) much more about tunings / tuning theory. But for
many they have become a veritable sleeping pillow with which to lie
comfortably upon and avoid actually learning the craft. These last have
always had their counterparts in the aural world to be sure, yet the ETD
does make this much easier and is more seductive thus.

What does all this (and more) mean sum sumario ??? "Dont know yet" I
think is the correct answer. And we wont get to figuring that out as
long as we remain on the << calculator justification >> level.

> Howabout this comparison: Would you feel more confident with a suspicious
> looking airline passenger being simply "patted" down and having his suitcase
> contents eyballed and shuffled around, or would it be better, in addition,
> also having him/her and the baggage put through a high tech scanner,  that
> can see and detect what might be missed or overlooked by even the most
> devoted employee?

I know personally of an incident that cost La Frouge International
Airport over 600 hours in delayed flights. Seems like some passenger had
a small collection of dildos, some of these very creative in form and
fashion. Course on the scanners they looked like very very large
bullets... grin. Major shutdown insued with full apex hit squads and
swatting seals (or whatever you call those people shaped objects)

> Terry Peterson

Cheers !
RicB

--