Aural versus ETD tuning training

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:41:10 -0700

>In the end, the person what gets really really adept with a wide variety
>of the relevant "tools of the trade" is going to do just fine... hey,
>thats what a proffessional is .. yes ?? If you feel that ETD's are a
>threat or something... then its time to rise to the challenge if you get
>my meaning. You may find youself using one as well, at least for
>somethings.
>
>Cheers
>
>RicB

Hi RicB-----I've never perceived them as a threat; more like an annoyance
and a detour; now I perceive them as a beautiful tool in the right hands,
courtesy of the craftsmen on this list. Thank you all for inspiring me to
be less of a judgemental idiot now than I have been in the past.

Challenge, you say? No problem.  I''ll put my tunings up to be "A-B'ed"
with any tuner in the world.
Whether I'm validated or humbled, it'll be thrilling----a steep learning
curve and a ballsy move.
AND I promise that the next time I'm in Europe I will spend a day or two
with Antares and learn how to use the Verituner----what a guy he is.
What a pleasure & honor for me to meet him.

Here's what I know:  I'm an accomplished musician, and have spent
thousands of hours in the recording studio as an artist/singer/musician,
and I'm definitely and without a doubt my own harshest critic.  That
applies to tuning as well, in spades----so if I consistently blow myself
away, and am used by serious players and producers who say my work is the
best they've experienced, and I've heard many times and been almost
satisfied with the way "my" pianos sound on recordings---I'm pretty
confident.

The main thing to understand, though, is the thrill that I get from
tuning a fine piano to the highest musical standard.  I just love it.
That's why I'm in the business. I've learned how to do many other things
regarding pianos tolerably well, but I am crazy about tuning, and falling
in love more and more with voicing, and starting to have a passionate
relationship with action regulation;
 this is after 27 years.

I'm grateful that every one of you is here, even Ron Nossaman....thanks,
list.

David Andersen