[OT]Dem ears versus ETD

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 04:08:30 +0100

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> >From what I read the EPTA  want it adopted as an EEC standard  so tuners
> moving from country to country  within the EEC will have to have this
> standard to work.
>
> It all part of the EECs drive to have all professionals visiting the
> home, having the same standard across the EEC depending what side of the
> fence your on this could be a godsend - take plumbers in the UK they all
> now have to be CORGI registered (if they want any work)  that's good
> all have to keep there standards up but the price for labour has
> rocketed.
>
> Barrie,

No no no no no... this I think is a bit misunderstood. I think,
Barrie...tho admitedly I do not know for sure... that what the EPTA is
after is a testing standard by which to judge the capapibilites of
prospective professional tuners. We have to settle on something... be it
this or that or the other temperament. In the end, ET is simply and
nothing more or less then a recipie for seting the beat rates for a set
of intervals within a definate range... i.e. the temperameant octave,
and the extension of this to the rest of the piano.

Since ET is the most difficult, and also the defacto standard most used
today, it is natural enough to ask that such prosepectives be able to
demonstrate some degree of mastery hence. It is then assumed that if
said prospectives can meet exam standards, then they have a high enough
degree of deveolped skill to warrant certification as a journeyman
tuner, and have a decent foundation for the further exploration of other
tuning related issues.

Much like the PTG's testing proceedures.... ya has ta aggree on
something that every one should be able to do to at least some degree...
or what ?

I dont think the EPTA has in mind that the EEC should declare ET as a
standard tuning for peoples homes or concert venues.... actually, I
think that the EPTA is very interested in nurturing the temperament
movement, as it really represents an expansion of tuning skills.

but thats just my view of whats going on. I can ask Jan Elefsen about
it... as he is very involved in that decision making process.... but I
do know that the PTG just contributed a full copy of all testing
proceedures and manuals to the NPTA for our considerations in exactly
these regards... and that points in the directions I have mentioned
above.

Cheers

RicB

--