tuning time

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:08:40 +0930

Hi Clyde,

My thoughts are

When tuning aurally I am used to taking the string higher by a ?% and then
dropping the pitch and setting the string at the same time. Depending on how
flat the piano was originally will depend on how much sharper I will leave
the string via the octave. When all unisons on the note have been tuned,
recheck and the octave should now be closer to what I want.

When tuning with an ETD (the ear always gets in the way) I still take the
string higher then drop the pitch as I'm setting the string but often the
ETD says its 1 or 2 cents sharp yet the sound by ear is right so then the
string is readjusted two or three times to get it right according to the
ETD. The unisons are tuned then the note is out by 1/2 cent. Flat.

So OK, we know that when two strings are played together and if they are
very close to being spot on, then they will sound spot on. Yet when played
individually they will show an small error.

Tuning aurally is also tuning by feelings, by aura, by the heart. Tuning by
ETD is absolute. ETD is clean. Aurally has a sole. Together I believe that
it is better than either individually.  Maybe, just maybe this is what the
Verituner does. ?

Still, soon as an aural tuner switches an ETD on he is going to be forced to
take longer to satisfy both mediums of tuning. However a tuner who tunes
strictly by ETD without comparisons and checks should be tuning faster.

But how can an aural tuner not check his work as he goes. And how many times
do you go back to a note that has dropped fractionally (by ear)  to rectify
a thinner soundboard or whatever to balance the tuning that may be
overlooked by tuning with just an ETD.

I tuned a piano the other day that was about 5 cents flat using the overpull
on Tunelab Pro. The difference was noticeable, sounded more like my normal
aural tuning.

Regards

Tony