Knabe Grand/Plugs

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:31:17 -0600

>Joe & Ron,
>
>I've pretty much resisted doing this through the whole block simply because
>I don't trust the structural integrity of the resultant plug/glue/epoxy
>mass. Given the vagaries of wood expansion and contraction with climate
>changes, just how stable is this some-unpredictable mass going to be over,
>say, 30 or 40 years. I've examined several of these jobs done by others
>after just a couple of years and have always been able to see at least some
>print-through image of the plugs on the veneer face. It's made me wonder
>just what is going on down there.
>
>Del

The one I did was done as an expedient. I took the piano in on a too short
turnaround in the first place, and while I was already working twelve hour
days, seven a week with music festival season tuning loads in addition to
her rebuild, she phoned and "informed" me that they needed the piano two
weeks earlier than she had originally thought. In other words, she bumped
up the date of her party. I thought I knew about what the plugs would take
to do, but I didn't have an extra day for fitting if it got more
complicated than I thought, so I went for the plugs. Any other time, I
would have (and always have) replaced the block.

So far no problem. I hope that's the case in thirty years too.

Ron N