damper liftrods

Eliot Lee eliotlee1@cox.net
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:13:19 -0700

Hello,

    I got a distress call from a Church to fix a Kawai UST-6 that tipped
over off its piano truck and fell on its back.    Don't ask me how, it is in
a gymnasium maybe one of the basketball players bumped into it.

    I found 5 jacks unglued the front board cracked and a problem with the
damper lift rod.

    If you are not familiar with these models, the damper pedal rod is on
the right side, the middle pedal is a bass damper lift connected to the
right damper pedal on the left side.

    The problem is that the bass dampers and tenor dampers lift, but the
treble dampers do not lift at all when the pedal is pressed.  Individually
the dampers lift with each note being played so I do not think that it was
the spoons being bent.

    I removed the damper lift rod and it looks straight.

`   Any idea what else to look for?

Thanks, Eliot Lee