Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 07:52:42 +0000

At 4:31 PM -0600 1/31/02, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Nothing Rayleigh said here even remotely hints at, let alone
>supports your claim. Nor does it negate mine, that I can see. It
>looks, in fact, to have nothing to do with either viewpoint of what
>moves the tuning fork handle.

My apologies.  You are right.  I wrote that message too late at
night, having read the passage quoted quite recently.  I'd not been
following the great tuning fork sub-debate.  As soon as I was in bed,
the true picture formed itself in my mind.  Yes, of course the
vibrations of the prongs will describe similar arcs and cause the
fork to vibrate bodily along its length.

JD