Dampp-Chaser.

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 15:32:28 -0500

Paul,

How long has the piano been in this room already?  If it has been there
for two years or more and doesn't show any adverse effects from the
humidity, I would think a typical installation would suffice.  For a
typical partial system (dehumidifying only) on a grand piano of 6'
(almost 2 meters) I would use both a 48-50 dehumidifier and a 24-25
dehumidifier under the beams, controlled by an H-2V humidistat and leave
it at that.

If the piano was recently placed there, I certainly wouldn't wait until
you begin to see damage to decide what to do.  No Dampp-Chaser system
will keep mold from forming on case parts.  Is there any way a typical
room dehumidifier could be used in combination with the Dampp-Chaser
system?  I would favor something like that.

I also try to keep all my bases covered.  I would admit up front to the
client that this is an unusual situation, so therefore I do not have any
precedents to guide me.  I consulted other technicians, and I am making
the best recommendation I know, but I cannot give a 100% guarantee that
other modifications will not be necessary.  Indeed, if the room is as
wet as you state, it may be very difficult to protect the piano without
resorting to total climate control for the whole room.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT