Pricing Models

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 03:19:53 -0400

I for one, don't like this method.
For one, how much time would it take to figure out the average cents out =
of tune.
In my neck of the woods, a piano can be out in certain areas (of the =
piano), as much as 35c from Winter to Summer.
I tell my customers to have it tuned once a year, around the same time.  =
This way I am tuning for the amount the piano is out of tune,  not the =
seasonal change. I explain to them, it will probably sound pretty bad =
through the Summer, as I also suggest it be tuned when the heat is on.
If the out of tuneness, bothers them during the non heating season to =
install a Dampp-Chaser system.
Through our Summers, the piano goes up and down in pitch, quite a bit, =
as the humidity varies from the 50% to 90+%.
I prefer the pitch raise and fine tune method. Each pitch raise is a 1/2 =
tuning fee.
I don't consider it a pitch raise for anything less than 20 cents, =
unless the accuracy is warranted. This is determined by consultation =
with the customer, determined by their requirements, ( i.e. little old =
lady for herself, hymns etc.) ,or a concert situation.
This method has worked very well for me, with my mainly rural clientele. =
I imagine it would not work for you city guys, that only work on grands. =
 :-)
My customers are satisfied, with my method, and it works here, as they =
have been calling me back since 1975. Mind you a lot don't do it yearly, =
some have waited 10 to 20 years, and then ask me if I think it needs =
tuning, as it still sounds good to them.
Regards,

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca