Wobbly Estey

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:41:03 EST

In a message dated 2/2/02 2:01:45 AM !!!First Boot!!!, kpiano@goldrush.com
writes:

> Ok, I put new nuts and screws on and it still is wobbly though not as much.
> When I shake it, it sounds as if there is a rod loose in one of the posts.
> Being a H style leg, am I going to find a couple of nuts to tighten if I
> remove the leg? The owner  thought they were smooth on top when off. Or
> maybe there's a tensioner nut under the caster? There are  rectangular
> blocks with one rounded corner, one per leg, attached to the bottom of the
> case that pivot about a screw and wedge the leg against the studs. Is that
> just an installation/removal aid? Doesn't seem to have much of a purpose
> after tightening up the nuts. They were  5/16" studs.
> And Bob, did the Estey you saw have nice lyre support rods?
> Keith R.

Keith

First of all, H type legs are always going to be weak and unstable. They are
jwobly by design. These kinds of legs are for decorating purposes, and under
no circumstances should a piano like this be moved. Yes, I have seen a rod
that extends through the legs. But it's kind of defeating the purpose. The
leg is hollowed out to accommodate the rod. But then the leg is weaker
because of it.

All you can do is make sure everything is tight, and then recommend that the
piano never be moved, at least not without some help. And make sure Little
Richard is never invited to come play for a party.

Wim