Pricing Models

Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:45:08 -0800

I charge a flat rate based on and if the piano needs a pitch correction =
an additional charge of about 40% of my usual fee.  If the piano is =
still pretty much in tune and it doesn't need much, I try and find =
something else to do.  A bit of regulation, voicing (although I always =
try and spend at least a few minutes touching up the voicing with =
through the strings voicing. =20

I like Richard Brekne's method the best (I think it was Richard).  =
Charge a fee based on a 1.5 hour visit.  Whatever you can do in that =
time is what gets done.  If the piano doesn't need much tuning you do =
something else.  It allows you to address the pianos needs without =
getting into lengthy explanations and justifications with he customer.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jason Kanter=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 01, 2002 10:01 PM
  Subject: Pricing Models

  Pricing Models

  I am musing about pricing models for tuning. Most tuners seem to =
charge a fixed rate plus additional for a pitch raise. This seems to be =
equivalent to one rate for a one-pass tuning and a second rate (less =
than double) for a two-pass tuning. What variations exist in your =
pricing models?

  Does anyone charge a sliding scale based on average cents out-of-tune? =
This would enable a lower rate for pianos that are very close to tune =
(average less than 2 cents flat); it would be relatively easy to =
measure/calculate with an ETD; and it would further incent customers to =
keep their pianos in tune. It might also tally closer with the degree of =
effort to get the piano into proper tune.=20

  Reactions?

   jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
   bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
   orcas island * 360 376 2799