Kawai piano needs orthodonture

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 20:52:54 -0500

I'll echo this one! Good point Don. I had this also happen to me =
recently, when I leveled keys on a 20-year old grand: not old enough to =
need new felt (or so I thought on the first round of key leveling), but =
if those punchings don't go back in exactly as they were (which they =
never will), you will be in trouble. I solved the problem just as you =
suggest - new thin felt punchings. I have not been ironing them, but now =
that you mention it, I suspect it would be a wise thing to do! Thanks!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Donald Mannino=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 8:28 PM
  Subject: Re: Kawai piano needs orthodonture

  Tom,

  I like Wim's explanation - it sure sounds like there is lost motion, =
which in this piano could be allowing the keys to look out of level.

  Once in a while older balance rail punchings will do this also, as =
your leveling job spun them randomly.  As they are used now after your =
regulation job, the punchings which have non-compressed spots positioned =
so that the keys were sitting on them have become compressed by the use.

  New balance rail punchings would be the answer.  Use thin bushing =
cloth type, and iron them before installation.

  The fireplace is the most likely reason for the tuning changes.  This =
has been a bad winter for tuning stability, as the northern US was so =
warm in December, then turned cold recently making tunings go sour all =
over.

  Don Mannino RPT