Pricing Models

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:23:17 -0500

Jason wrote:

I am musing about pricing models for tuning. Most tuners seem to charge =
a fixed rate plus additional for a pitch raise. This seems to be =
equivalent to one rate for a one-pass tuning and a second rate (less =
than double) for a two-pass tuning. What variations exist in your =
pricing models?

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to here. I differentiate =
between a pitch-raise pass and a tuning pass. Generally, if a piano is 5 =
cents or more flat it will require a pitch raise pass (that I charge =
extra for) and then a tuning pass. If a piano is 4 cents flat, I will =
only charge my standard tuning fee, but I will do two passes because I =
know that if I try to do it in one pass, I will be disappointed in the =
outcome - so I will do a two-pass tuning. If the piano is within 2 cents =
of target pitch, I will often only do one pass - but I will then likely =
have time to do some other beneficial voicing/regulation, etc. My pitch =
raise pass fee is 50% of my tuning fee. If the piano is 150 cents flat, =
it will definitely need at least two pitch raise passes. I will charge =
50% tuning fee (for the first pitch raise pass), plus 50% tuning fee =
(for a second pitch raise pass), plus tuning fee =3D 2X tuning fee total =
charge. And yes, there are grey areas between the extremes - be fair and =
make your call.

"Does anyone charge a sliding scale based on average cents out-of-tune? =
This would enable a lower rate for pianos that are very close to tune =
(average less than 2 cents flat); it would be relatively easy to =
measure/calculate with an ETD; and it would further incent customers to =
keep their pianos in tune. It might also tally closer with the degree of =
effort to get the piano into proper tune."

When folks call for an appointment (new customers) I ask them to play =
the piano over the phone for me. I at least want this info to plan an =
appropriate appointment time. If I can hear that it is below pitch, I =
tell them it will be tuning fee + 50%. I book appointment if they don't =
tell me they need to talk to the wife, etc. When I tune the piano I do =
have a sliding scale. If the piano is 5 cents or more flat I charge for =
a pitch raise. If the piano is 20 cents flat (based on a few samples =
across the keyboard), I charge the full 50% tuning fee pitch raise =
charge. If the piano is less than 20 cents flat - like for instance an =
average of 12 cents flat - I will only charge them $24 for pitch raising =
fees plus the tuning fee (from 5 to 20 cents flat I do use the sliding =
scale of $2 per cent flat pitch raise fee - after that is just based on =
how many $40 pitch raising passes).

But I think the key here is that when I quote a price, I tell them =
tuning a piano that is at standard pitch is $X. If it is significantly =
below pitch, we need to do a separate pitch raise to get the piano to =
standard pitch before tuning. The fee for doing that is $50%*X. Only =
after I get to the appointment, and actually sit down at the piano and =
check it out - and find that it is only an average of 10 cents flat - I =
will tell them that "gosh, it is not quite as flat as we may have =
thought - I use a sliding scale when the piano is fairly close - rather =
than charging you $40 in pitch raising fees, the charge will only be =
$20". I have never had a complaint when I told a client that. I think =
the secret is to always quote the high end of what you think the charge =
will be. If you tell them later that the fee will be less......you will =
never get a complaint. If you have to tell them the actual charge will =
be more than you thought..........well, all I can say is better you than =
me!

Those are my thoughts!

Terry Farrell

Ron N. wrote:

The problem I see with a sliding scale is that the customer can't =
confirm
the criteria for setting the price. To them it will seem either =
arbitrary,
or based on their presumed ability to pay after you've looked them over.
People don't generally like being at the mercy of what looks to them =
like
the random whims of "service" people. If they know the base price when =
the
appointment is made, and the flat rate pitch raise charge if it proves =
be necessary, they have already made their peace with the invoice total
before the appointment is even booked. Unless you're the lowest priced
tuner around, or the only one, credibility is what keeps you in =
business.

Ron N
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  I am musing about pricing models for tuning. Most tuners seem to =
charge a fixed rate plus additional for a pitch raise. This seems to be =
equivalent to one rate for a one-pass tuning and a second rate (less =
than double) for a two-pass tuning. What variations exist in your =
pricing models?

  Does anyone charge a sliding scale based on average cents out-of-tune? =
This would enable a lower rate for pianos that are very close to tune =
(average less than 2 cents flat); it would be relatively easy to =
measure/calculate with an ETD; and it would further incent customers to =
keep their pianos in tune. It might also tally closer with the degree of =
effort to get the piano into proper tune.=20

  Reactions?

   jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
   bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
   orcas island * 360 376 2799