Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Sun, 03 Feb 2002 00:24:04 -0800

Richard,
     Being as I am, convinced of a view that is contrary to that of many, which is
a point I have acknowledged before, I say that this whole question, that of the
bridge/soundboard/string movement in pianos does not appear to have been given
adequate analysis, at least as far as I can find, in the literature available.
For example, in the Five Lectures, generally,  the idea that the string exerts a
force on the bridge which moves the board is taken simply as a point of departure,
a declaration is made as to this,  and the analysis proceeds on  to other matters,
for example modal behaviors.  Here, and elsewhere this particular question does
not appear to have been  scrutinized but, rather, taken as a given.   The opinions
of  those making these declarations, whether professors or not, do not represent,
at least to me, a thorough investigation of this question.  As regards pianos at
least this subject does not appear to have occupied much of the time of the few
researchers on the subject of pianos  who have usually been more interested in the
behavior of the strings, modal behaviors in the soundboard, action events, and the
like.
     The violin appears to have been the recipient of substantially more
investigative effort and, yet, one can find a  difference of opinion similar to
that of the two camps in this discussion, at least, tangentially, touched upon by
the commentary of some of those researching this field.
Regards, Robin Hufford