Pricing Models - Tuning, Now Troubleshooting

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:57:48 -0500

First-time customers are quoted a ballpark range.  The tuning fee would =
be between $X and $Y, depending on what I find upon meeting the piano =
for the first time.  A discussion with the customer while I'm setting up =
the appointment usually gives me a pretty good idea about which end of =
the range I might end up charging them for.  Also in the discussion is a =
run-down of the most common things that could run the bill up (extensive =
pitch correction, dealing with corrosion, breaking strings, clearing out =
obstructions in the action and/or repairing broken action parts, etc.).  =
When all is said and done, they are prepared to pay $Y, but are =
delighted when the bill comes out to be less than that.

+ + + + +

Are the guides on how long a job should take still in print?

Invaluable resources, I should think, for the newbie who is trying to =
determine what to charge for what kind of a job.  They're also a help =
for the experienced pro who is having one of those bad-head days when =
everything is taking longer than it should.

The real acid-test is troubleshooting skills.  I'm sure we've all been =
there ... you spend 2 hours looking for something it takes the next =
technician just 5 minutes to find.  You spend another hour or so fixing =
all of the symptoms when the other technician fixes the cause of all of =
those symptoms in just 10 minutes, then has to undo all the work you did =
on the symptoms.

Who gets to charge who for what?

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI