Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 06:29:59 -0600

>> Yet there is no doubt that he attributes the rocking motion to longitudinal
>> movement in the strings vibration. I doubt seriously he would choose this
>> word unless he meant to use it.

I have already described the string tension differences across the bridge
resulting from the excursion of the speaking length. This would qualify as a
longitudinal force component as far as I am concerned, and has been addressed.
I don't presume to read Anders' mind. If you want clarification, ask him the
right question.

>>  The point is, no matter how you cut it this is a different kind of force
>> then the one you applied with your "finger on a string" bit .

It is exactly the same kind of force.

>> Your finger example was much more analogous of a purely transverse action.
>> And I think it was the kind of mental picture this purely transverse action
>> creates that loosed Johns counteraction.

I have already described both the action, and the result, and don't care to
speculate on what John thought.

>> And again, I'd like to get a better grip also on this "frequency dependent
>> velocity of waves" thing in the panel. How does that fit with the
>> description of the SB's movement as it had been presented up to early Dec
>> last year ?

Ask Anders.

Ron N