Yamaha U1 - spongy, lack of repetition...

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 07:09:57 -0500

I question the packing and grooving theory.  After all, the piano is three
years old or less, and it's a Yamaha.  How likely is that?  But you may be
right.

Here's a long shot, but there's a small maybe that it will steer you in the
right direction.  I had this feel in one single key a couple weeks ago.  A
tiny screw had fallen behind the hammer flange and was obstructing its free
motion.

I am thinking that maybe something is causing an obstruction somewhere in the
action, but on a more widespread nature than the example I've just given.  For
example, if the dampers have no play when the key is fully depressed (the
damper wires bump against the hammer spring rail maybe?) it could cause this
feel.  I had that happen once, but it was an older piano, and the hammer
spring rail was warped toward the damper wires.

Regards,
Clyde