Broadwood Pics/Richard Brekne

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:28:07 -0800

It is possible to put a turnbuckle arrangement on the underside of the
Keybed/Backbone to correct the cheek lift, somewhat. Takes time to do
though. A little each week. Would suggest you get a 6' to 8' straight edge
and check diagonally and across side to side and front to back. Once you
have done that then you can put strings back on. I would still strongly
advise a scale evaluation, if you are, even remotely thinking of tuning it
to 440 when it's done. Also, to get the true sound of the original scale,
have an analysis done of the wire you removed and replace with a close to
that as possible. Just a few thoughts. I have a collector, here in the
Portland area, that has several of these. I'm the advisor/tuner and he's the
restorer. He's the only client that I have, that breaks my cardinal rule:
"If you work on it, I won't". <G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)