make it heavier

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:32:34 +0100

Vincent Earl Mrykalo wrote:

> Yes, I would follow the advice given to remove some weight from the front of the
> keys.  How much?  Well, I would use 36 as the balance weight
> (Upweight+Downweight divided by 2) as a guide as to how much lead to get rid of.
> Of course, if you don't have much lead to begin with (a possibility, but not
> likely) you should weight the hammers.

I think it unlikely that this piano was delivered from the factory with 40 grams
down weight... which perhaps means at this point less then 30 grams of balance
weight.  Pulling leads out is something that in general I think most of us find to
be a good thing, but we probably should be sure its the right thing in each case.
Its not really such a difficult process to find out where the biggest problems are
these days.

To put it over-simplified... its either leverage, friction, or that something just
plain weighs too much or too little.  Measureing UW and DW will give you the
existing friction and touchweight numbers, but really not much more specific
information then that. Its a simple matter to plug those numbers along with a few SW
/ FW numbers and see which areas are causeing trouble and which angle is the most
effective way to go about.

Whatever you do should be reverseble, unless you are darn sure you want to go with
that in a longer term effort to improve the pianos touch IMHO.

Reasons why this should be so light ??... hammer filing, somebody pulling the
staples, replacement hammers that were too light, (hows the sound of this puppy eh
?) replacement of different dimension knuckles, somebody increased FW (not
likely-grin). lots more...

This is a university piano. Lots of use... lots of wear and tear. Unknown quality
concerning previous maintainance. I would look first to these as potential causes
for too light touch, then to basic leverage /weight relationships (as it is quick
and easy to do) and then make a decision what to do. Probably be either add SW or
subtract FW... but I would'nt be suprised to find myself at least adding some weight
to the hammers. This is a Steinway, and my experience tell me that many many
pianists expect big sounds and a massy feel from them.

Just a few extra thoughts to stir the pot :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.