make it heavier

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:28:01 -0600

Hi Ric,
               Lets step back a tad.   The action was OK before
installation of
hammers shanks and bushings.  Generally the friction should have gone up wards
a little.  So there has been 3 significant changes.  1. Hammer mass.  2.
Knuckle size.  3. Friction.

As a fast rule of thumb check.  If the blow distance, dip and after touch is
satisfactory.   The tone is acceptable. (strike weight issues vs tone is
another discussion)   Then hammer and shank mass change is more than lightly
been responsible for the change.
Removal of some key leads is probably the best and fastest way to go.  Inertia
goes down, and both down weight and up weight will go up, resulting in  better
repitition and feel.

If the action was not completely analysed before hanging the hammers, (so we
can compare the two sets of results.)  It is just speculation  to try and
figure what is going on.

Now it would be helpful if Wim would reinstall some of the old hammers and
shanks, and give the comparitive figures.

I have stirred the pot enough.

Regards Roger

At 09:32 AM 2/7/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Vincent Earl Mrykalo wrote:
>
>> Yes, I would follow the advice given to remove some weight from the
front of
the
>> keys.  How much?  Well, I would use 36 as the balance weight
>> (Upweight+Downweight divided by 2) as a guide as to how much lead to get
rid
of.
>> Of course, if you don't have much lead to begin with (a possibility, but
not
>> likely) you should weight the hammers.
>
>I think it unlikely that this piano was delivered from the factory with 40
grams
>down weight... which perhaps means at this point less then 30 grams of
balance
>weight.  Pulling leads out is something that in general I think most of us
find to
>be a good thing, but we probably should be sure its the right thing in each
case.
>Its not really such a difficult process to find out where the biggest
problems
are
>these days.
>
>To put it over-simplified... its either leverage, friction, or that something
just
>plain weighs too much or too little.  Measureing UW and DW will give you the
>existing friction and touchweight numbers, but really not much more specific
>information then that. Its a simple matter to plug those numbers along with a
few SW
>/ FW numbers and see which areas are causeing trouble and which angle is the
most
>effective way to go about.
>
>Whatever you do should be reverseble, unless you are darn sure you want to go
with
>that in a longer term effort to improve the pianos touch IMHO.
>
>Reasons why this should be so light ??... hammer filing, somebody pulling the
>staples, replacement hammers that were too light, (hows the sound of this
puppy eh
>?) replacement of different dimension knuckles, somebody increased FW (not
>likely-grin). lots more...
>
>This is a university piano. Lots of use... lots of wear and tear. Unknown
quality
>concerning previous maintainance. I would look first to these as potential
causes
>for too light touch, then to basic leverage /weight relationships (as it is
quick
>and easy to do) and then make a decision what to do. Probably be either
add SW
or